[modeleng] Re: Ballast

  • From: "Phill Smith" <steam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 22:24:22 +0800

Peter,

Over here we used to use bigger stuff (I "think" it was 3/4"), but found
that it was unsuitable for retaining the track for long. We use metal dust
(blue metal is what we call the granite here, when crushed for road base
etc) now and it settles to form a hard stable road base that doesn't move
when walked on (it normally gets slowly spread all over the place), or when
the track heats up in summer. The track also doesn't seem to slowly (over
years) rise to the top of it, as it did with the large sized pieces.

I'd stick with the 10mm.

My 0.9p worth.....

Cheers,

Phill.