[modeleng] Re: Alternatives for sleepers Jarrah

  • From: "Phill Smith" <steam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 22:25:10 +0800

Nah Unka Jesse.

It's a hardwood timber from around me. I burn it for firewood, use it for
hammers, nails, fence posts (because white ants [termites] don't like eating
it and it doesn't rot when left in water - I have just pulled out some fence
posts that are 115 years old from some of my wet area, and only because the
top half had been burnt of in a bush fire....) bridges, warves, all sorts of
things.... It's fantastic in compression, but not so good in tension. For
that we have another hardwood, Karri. It's fantastic for beams, masts, etc,
but not so good in compression. Plus white ants consider it a bit of a
delecasy.....

Cheers,

Phill.