[modeleng] Re: Against the grain

  • From: GWRdriver <gwrdriver@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 18:43:51 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

My oddest metal experience . . . A few years ago I had 12" or so of a 1.5"sq
cold finish steel bar end picked up from the "drops" bin at a local steel
supplier.  I began using it from the "clean" end (away from the raw bar end)
but shortly the remaining length just fell apart, roughly in halves.
Apparently a fold or cold seam occurred early in the rolling process which
never adhered or welded together, and it couldn't be seen.
Cheers,
Harry