[modeleng] Re: Adjustable reamers

  • From: "Jesse Livingston" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 19:32:50 -0500

Peter,

You can use the adjustables as hand reamers, but you need some way to steady
them so they cannot get out of line.  I have used a home made 60° centre in
a drill press chuck.  The reamers I have seen all have a centre hole in the
stem end, so I put my tap handle on the reamer and rotate it while someone
holds down on the drill press to make sure the reamer stays straight.  If
not enough room to swing a tap handle, you can use one of those fishing
sinkers that are sold as "adjustable spanners".  That way you can get a 1/2
turn at a time.

BTW:  You aren't trying to remove too much metal at a time are you?

Jesse in still wet Troy, TN USA.