[modeleng] Re: ALERT!! IMPORTANT!! and PS about Model Engineer

  • From: Tim Kirby <trk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 10:20:27 -0500

> On Fri, 19 Oct 2007, Patrick Coppens-Marian Lynch wrote:
>
>> The card is blocked, as from yesterday, on the initiative of Citibank,
>> and is now destroyed, and a new card applied for.

I don't know if citibank offers this internationally, but in the USA they
have an online service that allows you to create 'virtual' card numbers
for use online. It appears as though it used your real card number, but
by default

  * it expires within a month of generation
  * it can only be used at the first merchant you use it at

If you want to use the advanced options, you can actually put a limit on
the amount that can be charged against that number; there is also the
option to have it last for longer than a month for something like a
recurring payment.

It may only be an option for US based cards, but I would encourage folks
to see what their card providers offer in this area.

Oh, and remember that a bank debit card is much riskier to use than a
credit card. Most creidt cards have 0 liability for unauthorized charges
and you can contest charges before money leaves your account. If you let
a debit card number out into the wild the cash is gone from your account
by the time you know things have gone awry.

On 10/19/07 9:00 AM, "R.L. Roebuck" <rlr20@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> PS Trying to keep at least an air of this on topic, has anyone renewed
> their subscription to model engineer recently? In previous years I have
> waited till the third renewal warning, as they dropped the price each time
> they sent the renewal paperwork. Given that it is now being run by a new
> company, do we know if they run a similar system of 'rewards' for
> late/last minute renewals?

Hmmm. I never witnessed that behavior with my transatlantic subscription.
That said I would note that the new world order would appear to no longer
be supporting 'direct' subscriptions to the USA - at least, when I called
in to resub (after their website denied my existence despite my doing
what their renewal letter said I could do...) I got told to call EWA in
the USA. To give them their due, the nice lady at EWA found me in their
records and promptly did the renewal... hopefully they will do better
than Wise Owl did.

 <Topical>  A week and a half later I was checking unbilled activity on
 <ObHumour> a credit card and found the charge for the ME sub, which I
            didn't recognize - went to the web site and it was all about
            model cars. Freaked me out, it did, so I called them up and
            asked what the devil this charge was. While she was looking
            it up I remembered the ME sub. Did I feel dumb...

Tim
--
Tim Kirby                   trk@xxxxxxxxxx