[modeleng] ALERT!! IMPORTANT!!

  • From: Patrick Coppens-Marian Lynch <develop@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "mod >> \"modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx\"" <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 12:22:36 +0200

To the Forum

Gents

I found out this morning, that some french plunkers have taken £2000
pounds from my VISA account, and "winded & dined" themselves with it!
It seems, like I am going to get the money back, but it still feels like
a serious violation, let me tel you.
I am letting you know this, because I am sure, that a lot of you,
engineers, do trade with the same English and American firms
(booksellers-tool sellers etc) then I do.
So please be vigilant! Check your statements and call your banks if you
have to at the first sing of anything that's "off".

I am rather fanatically safety conscious on matters of internet payment,
and almost all my  orders are done over the phone.
It could be that a computer of one of the firms we all deal with is
hacked/cracked, it doesn't have to be you!

The newest scam, is the following:
You get an email in abysmal English, asking for your details. A child
could see, that the email is bogus.
Some days later you get an email in "the Queens Own", warning you about
the first one and asking you to install some small bit of software, for
protection against things like the first email.
Anybody who does, is game and the criminals control your PC.
For sanity's sake beware!!

Patrick