[modeleng] Re: A level lathe

  • From: Jeff Dayman <jeffdayman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 17:59:14 -0400

Hi Jesse,

I've often wondered exactly how those high precision glass vials were ground
with an inside rad. I guess it could be done with a spherical grinding wheel
mounted on a long spindle (to get the wheel way up into the tube). The
spindle could then ride on a follower which in turn could ride on a
precision ground steel guideway. The glass tube would have to be accurately
held in a collet during grinding and rotated as the grinding wheel makes the
spherical arc inside.

I also guess less accurate ones could be made by heating and bending the
glass tube to an arc shaped former.

 Is that how it was or is done?

Anyone in industry actually seen it done?

Cheers Jeff Dayman (also HOT also DRY Waterloo Ontario Canada 31 deg C )