Re: [MoAccess] Inquiry: Motif XF6 and Sonar

  • From: Jack Conti <jackconti@xxxxxxx>
  • To: MoAccess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 12:29:30 -0400

Right, but you are going tto have to shut of local via the motif menus. I do it and i beilve all others do as well.

my psr900 has sonar shutting it off and i doesn't do it 100% of the time.

i use usb here and hopefully someone will chime in about bulk dumps etc.
sonds like a good setup and you appear to be on the right track.
At 11:42 AM 4/10/2012, you wrote:
Hello List,

I am finally beginning to delve into hooking up my Motif XF6 to a computer and beginning work in a DAW. I realize the XF could work as a stand alone solution, but as it stands, there are things in a DAW that the Motif does not offer, and I don't intend on doing live performance.

I've heard tell of there being some issues when it came to getting Sonar to play nicely with the Motif. Words like bulk dump, "using the Motif as a SoftSynth" and other such phrases are sticking in my brain, so I thought I would ask what I need to expect in terms of what I can and cannot do.

Ultimately, I'd intended on going the traditional route of connecting the Motif via midi cables to my audio-midi interface, and having Sonar send local on and off messages automatically upon the opening and closing of Sonar. IF I want the sounds from the Motif itself, I've heard tell that I can just use audio cables and grab the audio from the Motif that way. This sounds pretty simple to pull off from the tutorials, but I need to know if there are other things I need to be aware of in that kind of a setup.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to record my midi data directly into Sonar, output some tracks to SoftSynths and some to the midi interface so I can grab the audio if I'd like to use a particular Motif patch. What about recording arpeggio data? How would I go about transferring a particular sequence's midi data from the Motif to a track in Sonar? If I use the physical knobs and sliders on my Motif, will those kinds of messages be sent out as well and affect a SoftSynth if I have a track's output assigned to one?

If it makes any difference, I am using a computer that is running Windows Vista 64 bit and JAWS 10. I have Sonar producer 8.5.3 and the latest version of CT, as well, and I use a Presonus Firebox interface. I realize that the Motif has USB midi capabilities but I'd rather not have to go through the extra step of setting the Motif to transfer things via USB. I have two midi cables that I'd prefer not go to waste and so thought I'd use those for transferring midi data. And I've audio cables for grabbing the Motif's audio should I wish to do so.

What are my limitations? What things are going to be difficult to do with this kind of traditional setup? Tips, suggestions, etc are all welcome. Thanks for reading!

Most Sincerely,

Bobbi

list, please use the FreeLists page.
//www.freelists.org/list/moaccess