Re: [MoAccess] Efficiency in the Wave editor.

  • From: Edu Camargo <edumusico@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: moaccess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 01:04:04 -0300

Happy to help.

For the extraction of these parameters, the Wave Editor only sees as valid information, the root key and the maximum velocity limit. So for example, if you have a sample wich the velocity is from 64 to 96, you should have other samples below the expected velocity values so the program can map accordingly.

Suppose you have a c1 from a piano that has four velocities (For the Motifs the C1 is C0). You can name these samples like this (please use the "read by char" of your screen reader for the next line so you can understand it:
piano_c0_063
piano_c0_096
piano_c0_116
piano_c0_127

In the example above, you've specified on the file name that the first sample will have a velocity range of 1 to 63. The second from 64 to 96, the third from 97 to 116 and the fourth from 117 to 127. And of course, all have "c0" as the root key. As you've noticed for the first samples I padded with zeros in order to keep the file names in their universal order. The Wave Editor will understand them anyway.

When you import the samples as described in the other e-mail, you'll use these placeholders as follows (again, please use the "read by char" of your screen reader for the next line:
_{key}_{velo}

Which means that all the information from the first _ (underscore) on the file name is the corresponding keys and velos that matter for the Wave Editor.

This information is also available in the Editor's manual but it is somewhere in the middle of the document.

Needless to say that naming the Waveform is important so you can keep track of what you're dealling with. From the list of waveforms, select an empty slot, press the right button key and select new waveform. For the XS the maximum allowed for a name is 20 characters. After naming it, press enter. After this you can import the keybanks and configure the waveforms to your taste. Of course if you're not satisfied with the name you can always rename it by pressing F2.

HTH. Shout out if needed.

Peace,

Edu.

Em 12/4/2012 23:16, Kevin Reeves escreveu:
You, my friend are a fantastic help. There's nothing in the manual about the file name bit, so this is very helpful. When you denote the velocity, what is the syntax to show range? I'd like to name a file so that it's velocity is 64 to 96. How is this written? Also, how do you denote keys? Is there a chart I can look at to see how this all is written? Are these standards with another format with a published set of specs that I can review and learn how to do this properly? Anyway, Thanks so much. This could really help me get some libraries going here.

Kevin

Kevin,

I just have to say this to you. The Wave Editor I've been using for quite some time and it's a great automation tool for converting for example, the samples to a waveform, which is what I do with the software. Then I import the waveforms and manage the voices on the synth.

I'll try to put things as clear as possible so you can understand a little bit how I deal with it.

Before going through the whole process of making everything automated, I have to rename the samples in a way that makes easy for the Wave Editor to extract keys and velocity parameters from the file name. For example I have a set of sawtooth samples. The sampled notes are c1, c2, c3, c4 and c5. All have the velocity limit of 127. I rename the samples as follows:
saw_c1_127
saw_c2_127
saw_c3_127
saw_c4_127
saw_c5_127
Done this, I go to Wave Editor and start a new waveform bank, by pressing ctrl+n and selecting if I want to create a voice bank, arpeggio or a waveform for my particular instrument. I select Motif XS waveform file and press enter.
Next, I go to file menu and select  import keybanks.
The default open dialog is shown and I select the corresponding samples and press enter.
After this, it asks me the info to extract from the file name. I type:
_{key}_{velo}
The key and velo are in braces. Still in this dialog I go to the list of the imported samples and see if the informations are correct. The info is displayed as a table, so using left and right arrow keys will allow you to read the colluns. If everything is set correctly I hit ok.

Once imported, I have to go to the list of keybanks and mark all the samples. Right click and select the keyboard split submenu, and choose "split around roots. This will split the samples automatically so you don't have to determine the key range of each and every sample. The velocity is set automatically on importing the samples.

After importing all the sounds and making all the adjustments, I hit save to ssave the waveform bank and done.

In case you still have some doubts, please let me know.

Hope this helps.

Peace,

Edu.

Em 12/4/2012 04:17, Kevin Reeves escreveu:
Hey folks. I'm working on a project whereby I'm converting some of my favorite
sounds from the logic library over to Motif XS Format. A Wave was absolutely
unsuccessful in converting an .exs24 file over to an xs voice. So, I'm
painstakingly going through and importing the waves themselves into the wave
editor to create this sound. I see ways where this could absolutely take
forever, so I have a few questions which might help me speed up this process a
bit.

1. Is there a way to set key ranges for multiple samples? I tried highlighting
3 of them and setting the key ranges, but only 1 of them registered.
2. Is there a function where I can highlight 3 samples and tell it to split the
velocities up? In a sense, I need it to equally divide the 3 samples into the
equal velocity ranges from 1 to 127.
3. Is there a way to go from sample to sample without shift tabbing back to the
table? It would be nice to remain in a parameter and edit it while moving
between samples.

Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Kevin--
You received this message because you're subscribed to the MoAccess e-mail list.
To unsubscribe, change your list options, or view archives for the MoAccess
list, please use the FreeLists page.
//www.freelists.org/list/moaccess

  Edu Camargo on the web

The music and soul of Edu Camargo:

  * Listen to Edu Camargo on *Reverbnation*.
    <http://www.reverbnation.com/educamargo>
  * Visit Edu Camargo's channel on *YouTube*.
    <http://www.youtube.com/educamargo>
  * Follow Edu Camargo on *Twitter*.
    <http://twitter.com/EduCamargoMusic>
  * Be a fan on *Facebook*. <http://facebook.com/EduCamargoMusic>