[missbirdphotos] Re: It's official! I'm going to Alaska

  • From: Robert Smith <rsmithent@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Mississippi Bird Photos Freelists <missbirdphotos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 14:38:37 -0400

I keep my eye out for photogenic perches all the time when I'm out & about.
When I'm on property where I have permission ot "collect" props, I'll put them
in my truck.  Such props have ranged from small branches to 500+ pound logs.
Here are a couple of examples.   In the cardinal & mockingbird shot, I picked
up a dead cedar branch is southeast Georgia & carried it back to central North
Carolina.  It was almost 8 months later that I used it.  I pulled down some
greenbriar (with fruit) & wrapped it "naturally" on the branch.  I then put the
branch in a Christmas tree stand near a feeder.  I got in a chair blind with my
lens & moved it back & forth until "the" branch was composing pleasingly in the
viewfinder...  I spent an hour or so in the blind & got several shots I was
happy with - two attached here.  In the bluebird & cedar waxwing shots, I put a
pyracantha branch on an old fence post that I had a mealworm feeder on, hoping
for some bluebird shots.  The cedar waxwing stopped by as well (much to my
pleasure!).  Again, I was sitting in a chair blind with the sun at my back...
In the chipmunk picture, I was looking at a piece of property for a gentleman,
when we drove down next to the river.  A recent flood had deposited a log
across the woods road - and it was a nice, hollow sycamore with lots of holes!
Rather than throw it out of the road, we put it in the back of the truck.  I
took it to Gary Carter's and with a little work with a posthole digger, we had
a new prop...  A few handfuls of peanuts down the hole resulted in chipmunk &
squirrels going in & out... And then the cardinal in the snow...  I had a
sweetgum snag "planted" in the yard.  Just before a snow, I hung a Christmas
ornament on it.  As the snow fell, I sat in a blind & shot away... I could go
on & on with similar examples... One problem with "special" perches is that you
have to change them out regularly or all your pictures start to look the "same".

Robert Smith

336-339-3497

rsmithent@xxxxxxx

www.photobiologist.com

 From: dancegf@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To: missbirdphotos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 13:16:49 -0500
Subject: [missbirdphotos] Re: It's official!  I'm going to Alaska

If you have the time and inclination, I would love a photo to see the set-up
for your “special” perches near your feeder.   gayla From:
missbirdphotos-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 From: dancegf@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To: missbirdphotos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 09:13:57 -0500
Subject: [missbirdphotos] It's official! I'm going to AlaskaIt’s official!  We
are going on a land/sea cruise to Alaska this year, so I must learn to use my
camera!!!! I do have a question for those that practice bird photography in
your back yard.  Do you use a blind or are the birds accepting of you, if you
frequent your backyard often?  Does anyone use camo netting to wrap themselves
in?  It sounds unusual, but I did read that on a forum.   I borrowed my son’s
D70 camera body yesterday to try with the Bigma.  I’m hoping for more light and
quicker response time. Gayla danceBrandon.