[missbirdphotos] Re: Bird walk today

  • From: "J. K. Cliburn" <jcliburn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: missbirdphotos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2012 16:04:12 -0500

Hoodies and Kentuckies are warblers of dense, low thickets; not
treetops.  The challenge is getting them out in the open long enough
to get glass on them and achieve focus.  I've observed the males of
both species singing from higher branches of pines (but not the tops)
early in the breeding season, presumably establishing territories or
attracting females.  I rarely see the females, but when I do, they're
skulking along very low in the understory.

The Hooded warbler was about 8 feet off the ground when I captured the
singing shot.  The Kentucky was maybe 3 feet off the ground on a
blackberry cane.

Jay