[mirtoolbox] Re: MIR chromagram question

  • From: Olivier Lartillot <olartillot@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mirtoolbox@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 10:06:15 -0700

Hi Verena,

Sorry for the late reply to your interesting question.

You should not compute mirchromagram using excessively short frame (such as 30
ms), because such short temporal window leads to an insufficient spectral
resolution. The spectral resolution can be artificially improved through
zero-padding (which is done automatically in MIRtoolbox) but this corresponds
just to an uninformative interpolation of the deficient spectral information.

In the next version of MIRtoolbox, I will turn back on the display of warning
message when using such short time windows. (This warning existed before
version 1.0, but when the automated zero-padding was integrated, we toggled off
that warning but this was maybe not a good idea.)

Regards,

Olivier