[mira_talk] Re: adaptor trim

  • From: Huang Yi <huang.y.hy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 21:49:46 +0800

Thank you very much for the reply.

Sorry, I may not describe clearly. MIRA didn't miss anything. I was
questioned why didn't trim adaptors before using MIRA. I think MIRA can do
this like what it said in the manual. But the question made me doubt the
assembly because I had never compared the assembly results between using
raw reads and adaptor free reads. So I want to ask to confirm it. I am
happy when you said Nextera adaptors could be trimmed by MIRA. Now, I am
setting up two assemblies and waiting for the results. When it is done, I
will let you know.

My other question is: there is "Num. reads assembled" in file
"info_assembly.txt", which I think shows how many reads were used for MIRA
assembly. This number is less than what I feed to MIRA. Is it possible to
pull those reads out?

Thanks!

On 10 Nov 2015, at 21:35 , Huang Yi <huang.y.hy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[…]
I wonder if you all really didn't do adaptor trim? I had a set of
illumina data from Nextera kit. Is the adaptor from Nextera "standard
sequencing adaptor"?

If I didn't trim the adaptor, only 60% of reads can map to my reference.
But if the adaptors were trimmed, 90% of reads can map.

Nextera adaptors are part of trimming pipeline and should be removed by
MIRA. If not, I would consider this to be an error. Your 60% vs 90% numbers
seem to clear enough that MIRA misses your adaptors.

I’m in the middle of a move atm and cannot promise you to work on it
immediately, but would it be possible for you to provide a subset of your
data? And also tell me what you used for trimming outside MIRA?

Because I do not know the algorithm of MIRA, may I know if MIRA can
process the trim before assembly?

Default is to always trim before mapping or assembly.

What do the "standard sequencing adaptors" include?

The sequences are listed in src/mira/adaptorsforclip.solexa.xxd of the
MIRA source.

You have received this mail because you are subscribed to the mira_talk