[mira_talk] Re: Mappging to Reference

  • From: Bastien Chevreux <bach@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 21:05:26 +0200

On Mittwoch 28 Juli 2010 Saulo Alves wrote:
> Hello Bastien,
> I have used Mira 3.02 with the following parameters
> ./bin/mira -project=crypto -job=mapping,genome,accurate,solexa
> -LR:ft=fastq -CL:qc=yes -CL:qcmq=25 -GE:tismin=300:tismax=900

Do not use -CL:qc=yes -CL:qcmq=25 on Solexa data ... you're robbing yourself
by discarding perfectly valid data, especially in some difficult to sequence
regions. Trust -CL:pec to do the job :-)

Please also read about the -CO:msr setting in the new reference manual and the
section "Starting a mapping assembly: paired-end data" in the new Solexa
manual at

And please switch to 3.2.0rc1.

> Except for the late presence of the rail-reads, is there any mistake in the
> assembly I should be aware of?

See above.

> And, most important, those "deletions" in the regions not covered by any
> read, should I trust it once there are so many of them? could it be a
> problem in the sequencing instead of the program?

Simple check: use a text editor (or FASTA, the program) in your FASTQ data to
search "by hand" some of the non-covered parts: If you find them: see comment
on -CL:qc above :-)