[mira_talk] Re: MIRA and .abi files

Hi Alessandro,

it's not just to extract sequences/qualities from the abi files, they
usually contain vector and low quality sequences. You need to take care to
remove these from your data.

You could basecall your abi data using phred(1) or TraceTuner(2) basecaller
and subsequently clip the data using lucy(3) or something similar.

You could also use Staden's pre-gap4(4) which is a complete preprocessing
solution for sanger data
(though I wouldn't feed it with 500,000 sanger reads ;-).

cheers,
Sven

(1) = http://www.phrap.org/phredphrapconsed.html
(2) = http://sourceforge.net/projects/tracetuner/