[mira_talk] Re: Call for testing: MIRA 3.2.1.17 and Ion Torrent

  • From: Tony Travis <a.travis@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 01:23:21 +0100

On 16/05/11 18:11, Bastien Chevreux wrote:
[...]
My three-week(!) MIRA assembly of 20x106 paired-end Solexa + 270x104
454 reads has just crashed when you announced your call for testing ;-)

Usual question from my side: log please :-)

Hi, Bastien.

Sorry, I'm re-running the assembly with the 'stable' version of MIRA and I've overwritten the log files from the 'testing 'version...

I've just tried your development version, but it crashed:
Internal logic/programming/debugging error (*sigh* this should not
have happened).
Please file a bug report on
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/mira-assembler/

"While trying to set the name of read
<trace>
Encountered character with ASCII code 32. T
It is probably due to your input data, but normally, MIRA should have
caught that earlier!"

Not a crash, but certainly not normal either. Here too: log please. I
think I have an idea what could have cause the bug, maybe I will also
need a sample of the data.

Ah, of course, I mean the program terminated unexpectedly ;-)

This same data did not cause any problem with the stable version. MIRA crashed because someone else ran a job with a large memory footprint and between us we exhausted the swap space. I'm trying again, but using "ramzswap" this time to compress and keep swapped memory pages in RAM.

Bye,

  Tony.
--
Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Rowett Institute of Nutrition
and Health, Greenburn Road, Bucksburn, Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK