[mira_talk] Re: 32-bit version for mira 3.2.1?

  • From: John Nash <john.he.nash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 17:02:04 -0400

On 2011-04-06, at 4:56 PM, Leonor Palmeira wrote:

> On 06/04/11 22:31, John Nash wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> If you think that this is off-topic, please advise and I will shut up.
>>

>> On 2011-04-06, at 4:08 PM, Robin Kramer wrote:
>>
>>> Generally I prefer the way they teach in CS, where you implement the
>>> algorithm.  IE actually program a dynamic alignment algorithm.
>>>
>>> If you can do that then picking up a new alignment algorithm, isn't too
>>> difficult.  I find so many people are high centered on a technology because
>>> they only know the switches for that particular black box, so they resist
>>> even keeping up to date on the latest versions of their favorite software.
>>>
>>> Sincerely yours,
>>>
>>> Robin
>>

>> It depends on how you want to look at it.  Many of us are doing this because
>> we are trying to solve biological problems.  We don't really care how (as in
>> mechanistically) it works, only that it is accurate in answering my
>> biological question.
>>
>> John
>
> Just as a note, a piece of software is never intended to solve a "biological"
> question but rather a mathematical simplification of the problem through a
> specific method. Therefore, it is crucial to understand the mathematical
> simplification as well as the key steps of the method in order to determine
> if it applies to your specific "biological" question.

I don't disagree at all, but my job is still to use tools to answer questions.
Yes, I must know how the tools works, or how to drive it, but I do not need to
know how to create the tool.

I am a very good guitarist, I don't just listen to guitar. I know how a guitar
is made, and how it works. Don't ask me to make the guitar.

John