[MEBC-Butterfly] New Moon Mothing and Beer Tasting

  • From: Larry McDaniel <larrycmcd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-moths <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ncsc-moths <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, BUTTERFLY NET <mebc-butterfly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, BUTTERNUTS <butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 10:14:26 -0500

Last night we had the first ever "New Moon Mothing and Beer Tasting at the
Farm" event.
It was great fun. The weather was very mild. We had at least 4 species of moths.
Poison Hemlock Moth - Agonopterix alstroemeriana (surprise, there were 2)
Spring Cankerworm - Paleacrita vernata
Green Cloverworm - Hypena scabra
Straight-toothed Sallow - Eupsilia vinulenta

Seven people participated.
Eight different beers were sampled.
Cerveza - Negra Modelo (Mexico)
Foster's - Lager
George Killian's - Irish Red
Lazy Magnolia - Southern Pecan (Nut Brown Ale)
Plank Road Brewery - Southpaw Light
New Belgium - 1554 (Black Ale)
New Belgium - Snow Day (Winter Ale)
Sierra Nevada - Tumbler (Autumn Brown Ale)

We enjoyed a variety of snacks and visited with the farm animals
2 Mini Horses
5 Mini Donkeys
8 Pygmy Goats
3 Baby Doll Sheep
1 Pot-bellied Pig
1 Great Pyrenees (big dog)
1 Barn Cat
We didn't visit the chicken house but we did enjoy some farm fresh deviled eggs.

I intend to do this again on Tuesday, Feb 21, 6:15 pm
and each new moon at sunset through the rest of the year.
I will post invites and reports.
Let me know if you would like to be added to the invite list.

Larry McDaniel
Jonesborough, TN