[MEBC-Butterfly] 2009 Roan Mtn. TN/NC Butterfly Count

  • From: dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: mebc-butterfly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, carolinaleps@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 22:50:07 -0400

The annual Roan Mtn Butterfly Count will be held Saturday, 18 JULY 2009, meeting at 10 am at the Visitor's Center in Roan Mtn. State Park, TN. We usually finish up by around 5 pm. Lunch can be purchased in Roan Village, or bring a picnic. This is a NABA sponsored count with the standard $3 per adult fee, and is open to the public, no experience necessary, all eyes are useful and welcome. The main group usually spends the morning at Hampton Creek Cove TN State Natural Area, then after lunch goes to the Rhododendron Gardens on the NC side at the top of the mountain. As usual we hope to find plenty of Aphrodite Fritillaries at the top. Anyone wishing to spin off a group to another location in the circle should contact me at (423) 483-0470 before Saturday. The circle is centered on Carvers Gap with a 7.5 mile radius. Weather is always an adventure on the Roan, so be prepared for anything. If the weather becomes too inclement I will cancel and try again on Sunday the 19th, but so far the forecast looks promising. Any questions can be sent to me at dnldhlt@xxxxxxx, or better yet call my cell phone at (423) 483-0470.

Don Holt, compiler
Johnson City, TN

Larry McDaniel <larrycmcd@xxxxxxxxxxx> moderator.