[mea] Re: Wording

  • From: cheri.frazer@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 14:03:55 -0600

No, this isn't an issue in a document, it's an on-purpose language debate.
I work with enthusiasts.

From:
susan.portelance@xxxxxxxxx
To:
mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date:
Subject:
[mea] Re: Wording
Sent by:
mea-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I prefer me to myself personally. Is there any other reference to Jane?
Can you say "I made coffee for both of us"?

From: cheri.frazer@xxxxxxxxxx
Sender: mea-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 13:52:46 -0600
To: <mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
ReplyTo: mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [mea] Re: Wording

That's today's raging debate among the word enthusiasts:

I made coffee for Jane
I made coffee for myself
therefore I made coffee for Jane and myself

OR

I made coffee for [compound object of Jane and me]

I'm trying to juggle a hair-on-fire deadline at the same time and I don't
want to dig my reference books out of boxes... sorry to be so lazy, but
this is fun :)

From:
Karen McElrea <karenmcelrea@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To:
<mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:
Subject:
[mea] Re: Wording
Sent by:
mea-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Doesn't this call for the reflexive pronoun, since you're the object of
your own action? You wouldn't say, e.g., "She bought a muffin for Craig,
Jane, and her," or, removing Jane from the picture, you wouldn't say "I
made coffee for me."

To: mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [mea] Wording
From: cheri.frazer@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 12:16:03 -0600

Can you think of any situation in which this would be correct:

"I made coffee for Jane and me"

?

"PLEASE NOTE: The preceding information may be confidential or privileged.
It only should be used or disseminated for the purpose of conducting
business with Parker. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify
the sender by replying to this message and then delete the information
from your system. Thank you for your cooperation."