[mea] Re: Wording

  • From: Karen McElrea <karenmcelrea@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 17:44:22 -0600

I think it can be solved by putting your self first. I won't say where I found
the dative verbs piece (pasted below), because there were cartoons on the site.

If any doubt remains, though, why don't we ask Vic Toews? He's a good listener
- I don't tweet, but people are tweeting questions as well as updates to him
(#tellVicEverything).
Reflexive Pronouns with Dative Verbs

        Reflexive pronouns can be used with dative verbs
 if the subject (agent) is the same person as the object (receiver).  Dative
verbs  take an indirect object: He gave himself (obj.) a break
(indirect obj.); and  may use a preposition: He made a sandwich for himself. /
He sent a letter to himself.
To: mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [mea] Re: Wording
From: cheri.frazer@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 17:07:00 -0600

Ok, someone has pointed to Chicago (15th
ed.) section 5.50, #3:

"If a prepositional phrase contains
more than one object, then all the objects must be in the objective case
{...send an invitation to him and me}.

But that's a sample in which each part
makes sense:

Send an invitation to him

Send an invitation to me

Send an invitation to him and me

Does it make sense to say [I made] coffee
for me? Or does it even matter, since the prepositional phrase still
contains more than one object? Would you distinguish between "I sent
an invitation to Jane and me" [as one unit] and "...and myself"
[as two different recipients] of invitations? Or would you simply change
to "I sent invitations to Jane and myself" to distinguish them?

From:
Karen McElrea <karenmcelrea@xxxxxxxxxxx>

To:
<mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Date:

Subject:
[mea] Re: Wording

Sent by:
mea-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yes, that's what I've been saying.

From: bjbecker@xxxxxxx

To: mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 16:26:30 -0600

A reflexive is used for an
object that renames the subject.  Subject is ‘I’ – Object is prep.
phrase ‘Jane and myself’.  You need a reflexive here to refer
back to the subject. J

Barbara J. Becker, Editor

MEASURED WORDS second helpings

(204) 837-9680

bjbecker@xxxxxxx

www.barbarajbecker.com

From: bjbecker@xxxxxxx

To: mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 15:12:08 -0600

He is 3rd person
– me is 1st person – that’s why you can’t sub he for me.  Myself
is correct because it is a reflexive pronoun that renames the subject (I).
Creating a compound does not overrule correct grammar.  If the compound
is wrong and ‘Jane and me’ is wrong – the fact that it is a compound
doesn’t make it right.  Sh’be myself.

From: cheri.frazer@xxxxxxxxxx

Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 14:03:55 -0600

No, this isn't an issue in a document, it's an on-purpose language debate.
I work with enthusiasts.

susan.portelance@xxxxxxxxx

mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

[mea] Re: Wording

Sent by:

mea-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I prefer me to myself personally. Is there any other reference to Jane?
Can you say "I made coffee for both of us"?

From: cheri.frazer@xxxxxxxxxx

Sender: mea-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 13:52:46 -0600

To: <mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

ReplyTo: mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

That's today's raging debate among the word enthusiasts:

I made coffee for Jane

I made coffee for myself

therefore I made coffee for Jane and myself

OR

I made coffee for [compound object of Jane and me]

I'm trying to juggle a hair-on-fire deadline at the same time and I don't
want to dig my reference books out of boxes... sorry to be so lazy, but
this is fun :)

Karen McElrea <karenmcelrea@xxxxxxxxxxx>

<mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

[mea] Re: Wording

Sent by:

mea-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Doesn't this call for the reflexive pronoun, since you're the object of
your own action? You wouldn't say, e.g., "She bought a muffin for
Craig, Jane, and her," or, removing Jane from the picture, you wouldn't
say "I made coffee for me."

To: mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Subject: [mea] Wording

From: cheri.frazer@xxxxxxxxxx

Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 12:16:03 -0600

Can you think of any situation in which this would be correct:

"I made coffee for Jane and me"

?

"PLEASE NOTE: The preceding information may be confidential or privileged.
It only should be used or disseminated for the purpose of conducting business
with Parker. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender
by replying to this message and then delete the information from your system.
Thank you for your cooperation."