[mea] Re: Quotation mark usage

  • From: Peters Susan <speters110@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 11:22:22 -0700

I don't know the context of the book, but I wonder if readers might be confused
about who is speaking. Perhaps that can be solved with a chapter title ("Bob
Smith and the Blizzard of 1949"), or with a 1-2 sentence introduction at the
beginning ("Bob Smith remembers the blizzard clearly"), or simply with a byline
or note at the end of the chapter: "Bob Smith survived the blizzard of 1949 and
later went on to work for the railroad. The cow was never found."

Susan

From: kirby.gilman@xxxxxxx
To: mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 20:23:49 -0500
Subject: [mea] Re: Quotation mark usage

Thanks Clayton, good advice about consistency, and I think I'll probably go
with your suggestion about placing quotation marks before and after the entire
six paragraph section.

The dialogue I mentioned is actually spoken, not in-direct thoughts.
Kirby