[mea] Re: Quotation mark usage

  • From: Clayton Bye <ccbye@xxxxxxx>
  • To: mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 18:29:30 -0500

On 17/04/2012 6:14 PM, Kirby Gilman wrote:
Hi folks,
I'm editing a memoir. One chapter is a page long and is all one speaker talking. It's split up into six paragraphs, with no-lead ins to who is speaking (always the same guy and it seems to work). When are quotation marks used? Just one at the beginning of the chapter and one at the end? A new quotation mark at the start of each paragraph, but not one at the end of the paragraphs (except for the last paragraph)? A quotation mark at the beginning and end of each paragraph?
Hope this isn't too confusing,
Kirby

There are many Schools of thought, Kirby. The most important thing you can do is be consistent in whatever you choose.

For the full page, I would suggest a quotation when he begins speaking and one at the end of the six paragraphs. As for an entire chapter? Same thing, unless... Is this self-talk or is the guy actually speaking out loud. I ask, because one does not use quotations if he's just listening to the guy's thoughts. Understood?

Clayton

To reply to the whole list, click Reply.
To reply to one person, click Forward.