[mea] Re: FW: dropping a client

  • From: Bev Phillips <phillipb@xxxxxxx>
  • To: mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 20:52:17 -0600

Wow -- this is a bad situation. It all boils down to: Can you live with
another year of it?

These points show that the client is either trying to get rid of you, or at
least doesn't care if you quit -- and isn't committed to having the work
done well:
    - Constantly shifts the date the document might be ready but expects to
send it as soon as it arrives
    - Isn't clear when relaying the editorial requirements
    - Changes the style every time a new document comes out and seems to
think I will use my ESP to figure this out
    - Never sends changes to the style guide made in-house
    - Asks for ridiculously quick turnaround times
If you were an employer and your employee acted like this, you would fire
them because they are making the working conditions impossible.

Even having said that, if you were still interacting with the nice person
you dealt with before, you might be able to put up with some of that. But
how much money is it worth to you to wake up every morning knowing you'll
face more of it?

I wouldn't be able to tolerate this, myself. I broke off with a client a few
years ago when they were making what I considered unreasonable demands
(expecting me to be on call 40 hours a week to do 10 minutes of work,
immediately -- I work freelance so I have some flexibility in managing my
time, not to drop my plans for the day every time this company called).
However, the amount of income I was making from the client was so small it
was no hardship. I told them that the job should be done in-house -- clearly
what they needed.

As for the unpleasantness of the personal contact, are they really paying
you enough to tolerate that?

In the end, it's your call. As you say, you can market yourself and seek out
new clients. That's a good idea, anyway -- keep your business moving
forward. And feel like you have your life back again.