[mea] Re: Are you ok with this sentence?

  • From: Karen McElrea <karenmcelrea@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 16:58:02 -0600

Thanks, Arden -- what do we think about that headline, "Canadian skier Sarah
Burke still critical..."?

I think Cheri's solution is a good one (a double)!

Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 16:18:25 -0600
Subject: [mea] Re: Are you ok with this sentence?
From: acogg@xxxxxxx
To: mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Where's the like button, Karen? ...Arden

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 4:04 PM, Karen McElrea <karenmcelrea@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I would object to a sentence of that
construction, which I believe are incorrect in any context.

To: mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [mea] Are you ok with this sentence?
From: cheri.frazer@xxxxxxxxxx

Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 15:32:53 -0600

"Burke tore a
vertebral artery, which are
located in the neck and supply blood
to the brainstem — the back part of the brain which controls consciousness."

(From
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/skiing/story/2012/01/12/sp-burke-skiing-injury.html)

Would you consider that construction
perfectly ok, a colloquialism / grammatical shortcut, or would you consider
it wrong no matter what?

Just curious.

-C.

"PLEASE NOTE: The preceding information may be confidential or
privileged. It only should be used or disseminated for the purpose
of conducting business with Parker. If you are not an intended
recipient, please notify the sender by replying to this message and
then delete the information from your system. Thank you for your
cooperation."