[mdmars_staff] Re: Do any of our guys use APRS?

  • From: John AAR3CK / AAM3MD <aar3ck@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mdmars_staff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 18:55:17 -0400

Thanks to Bruce, John and Jim for your inputs.  I hadn't been interested in APRS since way before becoming a MARS member, and Jim's thoughts are where I began wondering if there could be a benefit to what we do.  It may be that there is, or is not, a value to our program.  But, as Bruce mentions, they want to incorporate it into the ARES SET plan for this Fall.

My inclination is to think that, since it appears that most of MARS operate from their QTH and not mobile, there would not be a particular return on that investment.  That, compared to ARES for example, who might have numerous mobiles out there and it being handy in some way to be able to see who is where.  I have done a little bit of monitoring on 144.39 and there seems to be so much APRS packet traffic I am not sure how anybody gets through.  I'll leave that up to one of you guys to let us know how well that works.

Anyway, just pondering possibilities but not coming up with too much right now.  And thanks for the invite, Bruce.  I'll have to see if that is something I can do.  I'm sure it will be very interesting!

73,

John  AAR3CK

J Sears wrote:
not sure how it can help mars.. but if anyone has any ideas let me know

From: John AAR3CK / AAM3MD <aar3ck@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [mdmars_staff] Do any of our guys use APRS?
To: mdmars_staff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Monday, August 24, 2009, 8:23 PM

Hi, guys -

After reading a brief article in the September QST, I have a slightly renewed interest in APRS as it pertains to emcomm.  The prices seem to have dropped quite a bit since the last time I looked.  Any value to the MARS program?

John  AAM3MD

MDC MARS Web Site: http://mdarmymars.home.comcast.net/~mdarmymars/index.htm

List Serve Administrator:  John aar3ck@xxxxxxxxxxx

MDC MARS Web Site: http://mdarmymars.home.comcast.net/~mdarmymars/index.htm List Serve Administrator: John aar3ck@xxxxxxxxxxx