[macvoiceover] Re: what do we do about productivity on the mac?

  • From: Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: VO List <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 17:21:34 -0400 (EDT)

Please don't contact Microsoft about any of this!  They've messed up
Office 2007 in Windows badly enough in addition to doing a bad copy of
the Macintosh environment for Windows I don't want them making anything
on the mac accessible.  Better they should make Windows as installable
as Mac OSX is with speech coming on at the beginning of that process
first.  Then those that must use windows at home at least will be able
to reinstall it without sighted assistance when it gets compromised by
the latest malware.  One of the reasons I look forward to retirement is
I'll be able to go through a whole day with a computer and not be
required to use anything made by Microsoft.  Accessible versions of
OpenOffice have been available for some time by now and OpenOffice has
the active support of 10 corporations behind it rather than one
corporation.  The more brains, the better the product.

On Thu, 1 Sep 2011, Marcy Weinberg wrote:

> Hello, everyone,
>
> I saw this message on another list, and felt it was important enough to post
> here.
>
> spreadsheets and documents and presentations, oh my!
>
> Many blind folk are successfully employed for performing tasks which involve
> the above and have been for many years.  Few if any though are using the mac
> for many reasons but I want to focus on moving forward in areas in which we
> can move forward and to focus your attention and seek your assistance with
> those.
>
> We need gallant folk to step up to Microsoft and shout out that office needs
> to be made accessible in order that the market for blind employees will be
> wider.  To do this, folk must provide concrete detailed and factual
> information about the issues of using Microsoft office on the mac.  You can
> even find some good stuff that is already written and submit it to them.  I
> don't have a handle on the Microsoft stream and cannot purchase the product
> so cannot help directly but am willing to help in any other way I can.
>
> We need to provide solid feedback to apple on issues related to IWork from a
> productivity standpoint.  Some employers will be willing to accept a blind
> person with a mac since we can export office formats and they would be
> willing to mix systems if they are able.
>
> We need to locate employers willing to work with us and rehab or other
> agencies who are willing to take on the challenge if for nothing less than
> the potential cost savings.
>
> I know that there are a myriad of issues which we face with regard to this
> ultimate goal of prominent positioning of mac in the work place of the blind,
> but if we work together, perhaps we can move forward and provide assistance
> in this important effort.
>
> I know that there are efforts ongoing at apple and lots of feedback coming to
> them which they are paying attention to and which is helping to guide them
> toward better accessibility.  I'd like though to discuss experiences and
> desires and perhaps translate some of those into meaningful dialog with apple
> and microsoft.
>
>       --
> Marcy
> Hope you're having a nice day!
>

> > Click on the link below to go to our homepage.
> > http://www.icanworkthisthing.com

> > //www.freelists.org/list/macvoiceover
> >
> > Users can subscribe to this list by sending email to
> >  macvoiceover-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by logging into the Web
> > interface at //www.freelists.org/list/macvoiceover

Jude <jdashiel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet
of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's
got God on his side."
~ Bill Hicks