[macvoiceover] Re: what do we do about productivity on the mac?

  • From: Rejean Proulx <rejean@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 17:52:22 -0400

Since I retired I mostly use the Mac. I only use Windows for Mud games and
FireFox if I need it. Mind you, Safari is making huge strides such that I
require FireFox less and less.

As far as corporations go, you use what other employes use, and that is mostly
Windows. Over the passed 5 years I found accessibility of software used in
corporations going down. I don't miss working. It is getting more and more
difficult, not less. The Mac seems to be the only thing improving. I hope I am
not being sower in my old age, I don't think so.

On 2011-09-01, at 5:21 PM, Jude DaShiell wrote:

> Please don't contact Microsoft about any of this!  They've messed up
> Office 2007 in Windows badly enough in addition to doing a bad copy of
> the Macintosh environment for Windows I don't want them making anything
> on the mac accessible.  Better they should make Windows as installable
> as Mac OSX is with speech coming on at the beginning of that process
> first.  Then those that must use windows at home at least will be able
> to reinstall it without sighted assistance when it gets compromised by
> the latest malware.  One of the reasons I look forward to retirement is
> I'll be able to go through a whole day with a computer and not be
> required to use anything made by Microsoft.  Accessible versions of
> OpenOffice have been available for some time by now and OpenOffice has
> the active support of 10 corporations behind it rather than one
> corporation.  The more brains, the better the product.
>
> On Thu, 1 Sep 2011, Marcy Weinberg wrote:
>
>> Hello, everyone,
>>
>> I saw this message on another list, and felt it was important enough to post
>> here.
>>
>> spreadsheets and documents and presentations, oh my!
>>
>> Many blind folk are successfully employed for performing tasks which involve
>> the above and have been for many years.  Few if any though are using the mac
>> for many reasons but I want to focus on moving forward in areas in which we
>> can move forward and to focus your attention and seek your assistance with
>> those.
>>
>> We need gallant folk to step up to Microsoft and shout out that office needs
>> to be made accessible in order that the market for blind employees will be
>> wider.  To do this, folk must provide concrete detailed and factual
>> information about the issues of using Microsoft office on the mac.  You can
>> even find some good stuff that is already written and submit it to them.  I
>> don't have a handle on the Microsoft stream and cannot purchase the product
>> so cannot help directly but am willing to help in any other way I can.
>>
>> We need to provide solid feedback to apple on issues related to IWork from a
>> productivity standpoint.  Some employers will be willing to accept a blind
>> person with a mac since we can export office formats and they would be
>> willing to mix systems if they are able.
>>
>> We need to locate employers willing to work with us and rehab or other
>> agencies who are willing to take on the challenge if for nothing less than
>> the potential cost savings.
>>
>> I know that there are a myriad of issues which we face with regard to this
>> ultimate goal of prominent positioning of mac in the work place of the
>> blind, but if we work together, perhaps we can move forward and provide
>> assistance in this important effort.
>>
>> I know that there are efforts ongoing at apple and lots of feedback coming
>> to them which they are paying attention to and which is helping to guide
>> them toward better accessibility.  I'd like though to discuss experiences
> [...]

Rejean Proulx