[macvoiceover] Re: regarding garage band

  • From: Lewis Brock <lewisjbrock@xxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 16:37:21 +0000

hi there

please contact me on skype regarding garage band. I am a professional musician and mac techie in the UK and have experience with programs like this. I will be offering audio tutorials very soon which can be available hopefully by blindcooltech.

any help you need then please feel free to email me directly at
lewisjbrock@xxxxxxx

or skype me at lewisjbrock. please tell me who you are etc and I will instantly authorise you

lewis brock

On 10 Mar 2008, at 11:29, Ginny wrote:

Well, I’ve been one of those folks who has spent lots of time in one- to-one training at the Apple store and then coming home to try to make some sense of what we as visually impaired users can actually accomplish with garage band. Here are a few of the problems I’ve uncovered. Please let me know if there are work-arounds for these problems, because if there are, then we should definitely put our heads together and come up with a guide for VO users. The track listing is not accessible. I can record a track, and then I can record a new track, but I can’t then go and select one of those tracks and edit it because I can’t access a track list.

2. The list of provided instruments isn’t labeled. I think it would be possible to memorize where each instrument list is, but then when you click on the main instrument, you have to select categories within that instrument which are also not accessible. Once you can actually get to a list of instruments—say, jazz bass, you can read through the various names of the jazz bass sound options. However, getting to that point is incredibly challenging.

I can’t figure out a way to drag and drop the provided instruments or loops into a track…I can only listen to their samples.

There doesn’t seem to be a way to edit individual tracks.

I’d love to know if you guys have found work-arounds for these issues, because if garage band’s not quite accessible, I’m going to have to resort to Cakewalk. <sad sigh>

Lewis Brock
Totally Blind musician and composer of 21st century music

PHONE: +44 07857 352828
E-MAIL: lewisjbrock@xxxxxxx
MSN: lewis.brock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
SKYPE: lewisjbrock