[macvoiceover] pdfs and the Mac especially those that come with it:

  • From: "David Poehlman" <david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 21:25:03 -0400

Hi all,

One thing worth mentioning for those looking over the Mac for the first time
is that there is a good deal of useful documentation on your new mac and
much of it is in pdf and it's all accessible.  the manual for your new mac
is located in /userguides and documentation.  When you find and open this
document, it opens an application called preview.  Preview is like adobe
reader but it is built into the Mac os.  It does not seem to provide for
activating links but it does allow you to quickly read through a document.
You can go from page to page with command left and right arrow left going
backward and right going forward and you can also have the document read
continuously and even save it as text.  If a pdf is text to start with,
preview will accessify it for you and voiceover will read it.  There is no
special handling of documents though so you get what the document has and
that can be bad.

Adobe reader for the Mac is available but the only thing you can do with it
is to use its read aloud functions to read documents which in somecases is
all you may want to do.
--
Jonnie Appleseed
With His