[macvoiceover] no nls for ipod ever:

  • From: David Poehlman <david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 10:28:42 -0400

All;

I've received information that nls will not make it possible to play their digital talking books on ipods and iphones etc.

This is indeed distressing and if you are concerned, please contact the administration of the nls digital talking book program, your state representatives and your state legislature to boost this. It is of grave concern to voiceover users since the ipod is the most widely used portable digital media player available and the books are after all digital media.

Further, it has come to my attention that software will not be produced or authorized by NLS for the purpose of reading digital talking books on any computer which effectively stonewalling itunes from accessing them legally. If we were to undertake an illegal approach, we'd be punnished in some way or another if they found out yet they leave no alternative avenue open and this is after all tax payer dollar we are talking about.

Why shoule we be forced to purchase or be handed a proprietary player that is over priced when we already have players as inexpensive as the ipod nano at under $60 at our disposal. I know the nano might not be able to play a huge book, but most books are not huge and many of us have ipods larger in capacity than the nano and wiITunes is available and accessible on both platforms.

Thanks for listening.