[macvoiceover] Re: nfb trashes voiceover:

  • From: Tim Grady <tgrady@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 10:12:23 -0400

Well, I've heard of it, done it along with a few other packages and operating systems, so I don't understand what you're trying to say.

On Jun 10, 2009, at 6:58 PM, Marie Howarth wrote:

I have emailed the publication that is being published in. I very much doubt I'll get a reply.

On Jun 10, 2009, at 11:51 PM, Dane Trethowan wrote:

Okay well anything with the initials NFB stamped on them seems to only convey 2 things to my mind. Firstly everyone knows that NFB stands for No Fan Of The Blind. Secondly, anything that NFB ties themselves up with has an ultimate goal of not helping the blind so much but to help then get a few extra piles of money out of an unsuspecting and innocent victim. i was brought up in my day to help others, that is to say if I came across a method or a way of doing things that would help others use a Mac for example I'd share it, not with a view to making money but with a view to having others share in the excitement and thrills of discovery and independence. It would seem that NFB doesn't share my thoughts and feelings, make a pile of money and if something gets accessible just by chance? well that doesn't matter so much so long as we fill our bag.

Training? Well that's a personal decision isn't it. I learnt computers by asking questions and getting answers, whilst this approach seems to work for me there are others who wouldn't be comfortable with it and I don't have a problem with that.

One final thing, why is it that anyone writing for the NFB has to boast about their supposed qualifications, do these people think they're better than anyone else or not? I remember an article written by a person from NFB who told us he had more than 20 years in the business of Screen Reading and accessible software. Well he didn't represent himself very well at all because much of his information about the Mac was inaccurate to say the least, had he done a little research before publishing his log of twaddle then he would have got far more out of his Macbook Air, I did write to the chap in question telling him where he could get further information but =I got no reply. i also pointed out where he was wrong and he responded by saying, "How am I supposed to know all this"? Simple mate, do your homework like everyone else does <smile>.

On 10/06/2009, at 10:18 PM, Ignasi Cambra wrote:

I read it this morning on the macvisionaries list. It's ridiculous.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Anne Robertson <conseil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: June 10, 2009 3:50:14 AM EDT
To: Snow Leopard <seedvosnowleopard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: And a beta tester wrote this

Hello everyone,

I just read this article and noticed that it was written by someone on this list. I wouldn't mind if the observations were fair and reasonable, but they're not.

Who ever heard of anyone learning to use Windows with Jaws without training? Apple is being held to a completely different standard from any other hardware or software or screenReader provider.

Here's the link:
All;

While not surprising, This article certainly shows a good deal of what the nfb is all about here and this after they went around saying they were responsible for apple making ITunes and the IPod accessible.

http://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/Publications/bm/bm09/bm0906/bm090606.htm

******************************

Dane Trethowan
From Melton Victoria Australia