[macvoiceover] Re: need help with skype beta

  • From: "Marty Rimpau" <mrimpau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 22:00:20 -0700

Hi all, sorry for blowing up earlier, but what happened was that when I
ran skype beta from the dock, and got the dialog regarding the key
chain, and said yes, and got the profile, etcetera, something happened
to preferences, that theoretically, shouldn't have happened, unless,
this happens to all applications, even though you copy them over
existing applications in the applications folder, and that is, that the
chat radio button had gotten selected, so I had to go in to general, in
preferences, and then change the radio button to call.  This raises
another question, and that is, is the preferences file for the
application, erased if another application of the same name that is
newer, is copied over the older application in the applications folder,
because, theoretically, all the settings should be retained if you do
it that way, so now, how do you insure that all your settings will be
retained with a newer copy of an older application?  One of my
contacts, said, on the source machine, go in to the home folder, and
find library, then preferences, and in this case, look for skype
preferences, copy it, then paste it in, but if you did that, you'd be
pasting an already existing file in the same place, which wouldn't make
sense, and I tried navigating around in preferences, and couldn't find
skype, but I did find something called com.skype.pref, but did nothing
with it, but my profile on skype seems to be intact, just don't know
why the radio button reverted to chat, rather than remained where it
was, so maybe somebody can explain this.
On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 20:36:38 -0700, Mark Baxter wrote:

I don't have any experience with the keychain thing you're talking
about, but I believe that's just a privacy statement or disclaimer or
something; maybe someone else who knows more about that can tell me,
too.  However, the way to shortcut the applications folder every time
you want to start Skype is to either have it start automatically upon
startup, which is in the preferences section, or to show skype in the
dock.  Let me know if you need instructions on how to do that; I find
the dock to be by far the most convenient way to keep track of and
launch applications.

Mark BurningHawk

Skype and Twitter:  BurningHawk1969
MSN:  BurningHawk1969@xxxxxxxxxxx