[macvoiceover] Re: monitor on mac mini?

  • From: Richie Gardenhire <rhire1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 11:26:45 -0900

For the most part, I agree with you, Bryan. I have been following this thread and it seems to me Josh is looking for portability and space-saving solutions to his dilema. If he can find a monitor that is fairly light and not so cumbersome to lug around, that would be the ideal solution. Otherwise, the suggestion of an entry-level Mac Book or 13-inch Mac Book might be a better alternative. In addition, he was concerned about replacing the battery without sighted assistance. Richie Gardenhire, Anchorage, Alaska.

On Jan 9, 2010, at 6:07 AM, Bryan Smart wrote:

I realize that it might be kinda cool looking, and a bit of a space saver not to attach a monitor to a mini, but maybe the solution for you Mini users to actually get rid of this problem is for you to get a small monitor. You don't need anything big. LCD monitors are cheap and small. If money is a problem, look on a site like Craig's List, and you'll find used 15 inch LCDs for around $50. If you can afford the DVI adaptor, you can afford that.

Besides, it might be nice to have some kind of monitor, even a little one, if a sighted user wants to use your computer for a moment, or check out something visually for you.

I think that, long-term, it would be good if we could have a fix for the monitor requirement, but, in particular, I'm thinking of people like Josh. He's a new Mac user, and going off to school with equipment purchased by Voc Rehab. If you order some adaptor through them, and it doesn't work out, or if it doesn't work out completely, you're just going to have to try another adaptor (maybe at your own cost), buy your own monitor, or write to the lists in frustration that Apple hasn't fixed this problem yet. Would be so much easier to have them buy you a little monitor to go with your Mini. Who knows. Someone might want to look at the paper that you're writing before you print it out. You might have a roommate that wants to borrow your computer to work on their paper, and would buy you beer in exchange. *smile* Being able to run without a monitor is nice, but maybe everyone is struggling a bit too hard with this one when the solution costs $50, takes up hardly any desk space, and is kinda useful on occasion. The adaptor approach seems not quite reliable on all models, and seems like an experiment for the adventurous user. I don't think that it is the best approach to suggest to new users though.

Bryan