[macvoiceover] Re: main menu comments about mac and bookshare

  • From: Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 19:46:35 -0600 (CST)

Those commentators are more commentators than experts. Reality is built on perception. When two or more people get to a common perception then they get to a common reality. The best thing to try to do is for those of us on other blindness-connected lists to put a little block in our .signaturerc files promoting the screenless switchers podcast.

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, Cheryl Homiak wrote:

Unfortunately I'm listening to this now instead of live. I was really
disappointed to hear  comments about the mac.
"Your choices are kind of limited right now. I know there's a kind of built-in
screen reader type thing in the mac ..."
"Voiceover."
"voiceover, which should sort of work with bookshare books in the browser?" (emhasis was
on "sort of" and the comment sort of ended in a question mark).
Mention was made of Kafkas daytime not being up.
Mention was made of later releasing a free daisy payer for mac; mention was
made of listening in your browser or notepad (of course there isn't notepad on
the mac). One of the commentators did try to stress that these books could
easily be turned into html, and while they didn't mention it, of course it's
quite easy in text edit to turn them into plaintext if you desire.
No mention was made of the fact that these books can easily be turned into
audio with text to audio or visiovoice or cspeech (if you have it). I felt that
the impression was left that the mac was somehow not a very viable option
because you couldn't read bookshare books as daisy on the mac. as Daisy; of
course bookshare's version of Daisy isn't audio and is still the 2002 standard.
Maybe I'm overreacting, but I didn't feel the mac was adequately addressed when
answering the question. The tone of voice of one of the two just came across to
me as rather derrogatory of the Mac and voiceover, though I know what you hear
in tone of voice can be subjective. to be fair, nothing was said about using
something like Text aloud in windows either so apparently they weren't even
thinking of using any kind of text to audio. Oh, I also didn't think of
including dtbmaker though you do need to have a working katieplayer for that.

I will also say, though it doesn't really relate to voiceover, that the picture
of bookshare painted was extremely positive. I do use bookshare and have gotten
many very well-done books from it; I've also gotten many that were rated
excellent that had page after page of unreadable material. So my point here is
that the presentation was a bit slanted in regard to other things besides the
Mac.
Of course I know the reasons why the Mac and voiceover are often portrayed as
soubtful or suspect options for blind people and there's only so much you can
do to change people's oppinions, but it still seems too bad to me that people
addressing a large audioence re: accessbility matters can imply by voice tone
and incomplete information that voiceover is a poor substitute for a
screenreader. I do realize a lot of this is ignorance on the part of people who
have not really used this system at all, but it's still too bad.

Cheryl

"Where your treasure is,
there will your heart be also."