[macvoiceover] Re: macs vs pcs

  • From: Chris Hofstader <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 08:19:26 -0500

As I wrote earlier, VO is updated with the OS updates and typically shows major steps forward when the OS is actually upgraded.

So, $29 for screen reader update and $0 for the rest of the OS if you want to look at it this way. With JAWS, $250 (assuming you have SMA) for two screen reader upgrades and $200 for OS upgrade. In upgrades alone, you save $420 and Apple is pretty consistent with software updates across its entire product line.

JAWS is a very good program but is it worth $1100 new when one can buy a really kick ass MacBook 13 for $999 or a really sweet MacBook Pro 13 for only $1199?If you are happy with the really nice plastic model, it's like buying the VoiceOver screen reader for $1100 and getting $100 back if you are willing to accept a really delightful laptop from Apple.

If you search through my blog archives (http://www.blindconfidential.blogspot.com ) you will find three things: first, that I used to trash Apple for its poor accessibility and lack of a commitment to such; second, that I now praise Apple for making a major turn around; third, that for years I have been advocating for mainstream products to include access features so we blinks can enjoy the fiscal benefits of the economies of scale afforded those who do not identify as having a disability.

Apple has become the only company to apply universal design principles to its entire product line. For people like me who follow this stuff for a living, I've never seen anyone do a better job nor have I seen a company, once committed, to move so rapidly toward a comprehensive solution. Apple supports VoiceOver in its entertainment products (iPod and AppleTV), telecommunications (iPhone) and, of course, on its computers. It does all of this without requiring a VO user to invest an extra penny, Rupee, Pound Sterling, Euro, Yen, etc. - a truly remarkable feat that is only matched on computers in GNU/Linux distros and no where on entertainment or telecommunications products.

I am not on Apple's payroll, I do enjoy a personal relationship with a handful of people at Apple with whom I sat on committees back when I worked at FS. My opinions on all of this come from observing products accessible to people with vision impairment through an expert's lens and with a solid knowledge of the recent (15 years or so) history.

Happy Macking,
cdh

On Nov 7, 2009, at 7:47 AM, dennis wrote:

but do they release updates for it ?
----- Original Message ----- From: "David Poehlman" <david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx >