[macvoiceover] Re: mac v. pc

  • From: John Hess <johnythehess@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 08:51:24 -0400

I would like to add my thoughts to David's. As an instructor of both windows and Mac what I find is once a person learns the language of Voiceover (terms and what they mean) and also learn how to use the variety of built in tools that are provided using the web makes more sense and is actually easier over time. The more a person uses voiceover the easier it becomes. Also, the tools provided are global and not application specific. So, once a person learns voiceover all applications that Voiceover will work with are accessible and easy to use.

On Aug 5, 2008, at 8:28 AM, David Poehlman wrote:

we don't have opinions but fact.

If you can learn to use jaws, learning VoiceOver is loads simpler. It does not hold your hand like JAWS does, but it is much more stable and provides
for the Mac os Superior access to what JAWS provides for windows and I
include all when I say JAWS. I should ad though that many of the apps you want to use like ms office and the windows audio tools you are used to will not be available but there are suitable replacements for most if not all of the apps you want to use. VoiceOver has a different approach to interacting
with the os.  Instead of assuming someone does not know how to use a
computer and making it "*<easy*>" for them, It allows one to interact with the os as if they were not using anything different. Does this mean a bit more work in some cases? Yes. Does it mean that we don't have equivalent
access? no.