[macvoiceover] Re: liblouis 1.2.6 upgrade installer

  • From: Greg Kearney <gkearney@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 23:03:08 -0600

Yes it can. If you were to have a U.S. grade two file for example let's call it braille.brf and you wanted to make it into ascii text here is what your would do on the UNIX command line:

cat /path/to/braille.brf | translate -b /etc/liblouis/en-us-g2.utb > / path/to/newfile.txt

What we are doing here is telling the UNIX program cat to send the text of the file braille.brf to translate and telling translate that we want it's output to go into the file newfile.txt

Translate has a switch -f and -b which stand for forward, text to braille and backwards (-b) braille to text so in this case we use the -b switch. The other item is the path to the U.S. grade two translation table.

Greg Kearney

On May 5, 2007, at 22:45 , „Carlos Taylor wrote:

Hi Greg. Can this program translate grade 2 brf files into plain uuncontracted text?
On May 6, 2007, at 12:27 AM, Greg Kearney wrote:

I have upgraded the liblouis installer found at http:// w3.wmcnet.org/braille/liblouis/

This upgrade includes braille translation tables for nearly all European and North American languages as well as installing braille print fonts. liblouis is the foundation for many of my braille tools and I would advise updating.

The basic program is called translate and its command line usage is as follows:

translate -f|-b tranlationtable

so for example: echo "Hello Greg" | translate -f /etc/liblouis/en- us-g1.utb
would output: ,hello ,greg

Greg Kearney
gkearney@xxxxxxxxx
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Users can subscribe to this list by sending email to macvoiceover-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by logging into the Webinterface at //www.freelists.org/list/macvoiceover