[macvoiceover] Re: iworks

  • From: Jacob Schmude <j.schmude@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 15:14:36 -0400

Hi
You don't need to interact with the document text to position an object, you can still navigate with the arrow keys even without interacting. I wonder if VO is, for whatever reason, not keeping your keyboard focus in sync with the VO cursor? You should report this to Apple, as you're the one experiencing the bug and can tell them the most about it. The more they know about the better.

On Mar 15, 2009, at 14:57, Barry Hadder wrote:

All right. It actually doesn't have anything to do with whether or not I use the tb button or the menu. I have found that If the VO cursor is interacting with the lay-out area an inserted object doesn't show up. If It is not interacting with it, objects show up.

So a major problem still exists. How would I position them to where I want them in the document? Rhetorical question.
Thanks for the heads up though.

On Mar 15, 2009, at 1:13 PM, Jacob Schmude wrote:

Wow, that is certainly odd. I can use either the menu or the toolbar and it works just fine. Not sure what might be going on that would cause the menu not to work for you.

On Mar 15, 2009, at 13:40, Barry Hadder wrote:

I just figured something out but I have no idea why it works this way.

For some reason when I create a table from the insert menu, I am unable to find the table or any other object. However, I just found that if I use the table button on the tool bar, I have it in the layout area as you describe. .

On Mar 14, 2009, at 6:48 PM, Jacob Schmude wrote:

Make sure you're positioned exactly on the table. Use the left and right arrows until you here it say "highlighted."

On Mar 14, 2009, at 17:01, Barry Hadder wrote:

Still no luck.

All I'm able to find in the lay-out area is the header, body, and footer. I'll keep working on it though.
Thanks.

On Mar 14, 2009, at 3:40 PM, Jacob Schmude wrote:

Hi
This is where it isn't as intuitive as it ought to be. When you here "highlighted," make sure you're positioned right where it says that. Now, stop interacting with the text area, though continue to interact with the layout area. VO to the right once, and there's your table or shape. You interact with tables the way you would in any other situation. To edit a table cell, route your mouse to it with vo+cmd+f5 (not necessary if you have mouse tracking enabled) and double-clik with vo-shift- space twice.
hth

On Mar 14, 2009, at 16:32, Barry Hadder wrote:

Hi,

When ever I insert a table, the only feed back I get is "hi- lighted". I can't even tell that a table is there at all much less detect individual sells. I would sure appreciate some tips on the subject.
Thanks.

On Mar 14, 2009, at 3:16 PM, Jacob Schmude wrote:

Hi
You can indeed read and create tables with VO in iWork, although it's not exactly obvious how to do it, and could be made more intuitive. However, iWorks is the only word processor on the Mac that will let VO users do this at all, no other will including Openoffice. I've also been able to interact with most, but not all, document objects. You are correct about the page and/or section breaks as far as I have noticed, however I've not found an easy way to do that with VO in any wordprocessor, though you eventually get the hang of checking what page you're on to get around this.

On Mar 14, 2009, at 16:04, Barry Hadder wrote:

Well, here are my findings. in regards to pages

You cant create and edit tables with VO.

Vo doesn't read page or section breaks.

Vo doesn't seem to be able to recognize or interact with any objects embedded in the document. So as far as a blind person creating a technical document, it seems to not be possible.

I think that a blind person could get most things done with numbers, but I would categorize it as ruff.

On Mar 14, 2009, at 2:33 PM, Marie Howarth wrote:

So I was wondering whether to get iworks. i write and need to get a cV done but although I've played around a little in the apple store with pages, I was just wondering whether its worth buying it and how accessible is it with voice over?

Barry Hadder
bhadder@xxxxxxxxxxx

The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
        --Douglas Adams