[macvoiceover] Re: itunes questions, 1 of 2

  • From: David Poehlman <david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 13:51:45 -0400

I love the play list browser!

On Sep 9, 2009, at 1:35 PM, Ricardo Walker wrote:

Oh.  Ok,

I think you should use the search field instead of the playlist browser to find music. I think you will find it a whole lot easier. You can type in an album artist, or a combo and get good results that shows up in the songs table. when you want to go back to your full library, just go back to the search field and erasewhats in the edit field
On Sep 9, 2009, at 1:29 PM, samtroia wrote:

Sure. My library is extremely large, like 225 gigs worth and growing all the time, so I really don't want to use that itunes dj feature because I really don't want it to pick from my entire library. Instead, I like to make major playlists and listen to the music I like most whenever I play tunes. Music is the most important thing to me and so I want my itunes listening experience to be very specific and the best that it can be.

On Sep 9, 2009, at 1:03 PM, Ricardo Walker wrote:

Hi,

I'm just curious. What kind of things are you trying to do with your music? Can you give a little example?
On Sep 9, 2009, at 1:00 PM, samtroia wrote:

Oh, man! Thank you, thank you! You're a life saver. I really don't want to go on using winamp for the rest of my life.

On Sep 9, 2009, at 12:11 PM, Marie Howarth wrote:

yes, it's called non sequential selecting.

turn tracking off, vo--shift--F3.
press escape while in the songs table to ensure you have nothing selected.
find the first item you want to select with vo cursor, vo-up/down.
press vo--command--space to select it. move to the next item you want to select and repeat this step. once you've finished selecting, do what you need too, I.e add to a playlist or delete, etc.
hth

On Sep 9, 2009, at 4:00 PM, samtroia wrote:

When I try all that you suggested, which I'm about to do, is there any way to select just the tracks that I want in the songs table? I can't for the life of me find any way to select individual tracks except for one at a time or all of them and there's like no way I'm gonna do that.

On Sep 9, 2009, at 10:33 AM, Ricardo Walker wrote:

Ok,  I get you now.

I just open the playlist browser, and as far as I can tell you can not view the individual tracks in this browser. If you could, I think there would be another group called show all song names or something like that. but once you've narrowed down with the playlist browser like you said, you can view the songs in the songs table. from here you interact with the table then you can press VO shift M to open up the context menu and do things like put the song in a playlist or convert it to another file type.

Let me know if this helps any.

Ricardo
On Sep 9, 2009, at 8:54 AM, samtroia wrote:

Ok, in addition to the source table and the songs table, you can open a playlist browser table with cmd-b. In that you can choose from three items: all genres, all albums and all artists. If you choose all artists for example, you can then arrow down to or type in the name of any artist in your library. If you then arrow to the right, it will tell you how many albums that artist has and the list of them below that. But once I get into the list of albums, I have found no way to open each album in order to select tracks. Going to the songs table will show the list of tracks in the selected album, but again I don't know how to select the tracks I want in the songs table.

So my question: can I open an album in the playlist browser to show the tracks or do I have to use the songs table to select them?

On Sep 9, 2009, at 7:28 AM, Ricardo Walker wrote:

Hi,
I'm a little confused. Where exactly are you in iTunes? When you first open iTunes you are in the sources table that contains all your playlist. Is this what you are talking about?

On Sep 9, 2009, at 6:27 AM, samtroia wrote:

Hi, all,

I am now showing the playlist browser for my entire library. When I choose one of the categories, all albums let's say, is there a way to view the tracks of the album in the browser? Then, how do you select the tracks you want to add to a playlist and what steps do I take for adding the selected tracks to the playlist?