[macvoiceover] Re: iPod video converter

  • From: Keith Reedy <wa9dro@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 08:06:04 -0400

Hmmm, seems like handbrake, I think I spelled that correctly would do the Job.

HTH.

Keith Reedy

On Oct 12, 2008, at 1:33 AM, Jacob Schmude wrote:

Hi everyone
I'm looking for a video converter for my iPod. I have lots of DVDs that I own that I've encoded to MP4, but I encoded them so they could be watched on normal screens. As a result, my iPod Classic won't play them. I'm looking for a converter that does this conversion and also preserves my chapter marks. This second point is the key, as I know of several video converters--quicktime pro, iTunes itself, Viddyup, and visualhub (discontinued). None of these, however, seem to be able to preserve chapter marks and I really don't feel like extracting them manually then using QT pro to put them back. I'd really prefer to do the conversions in a batch, which QT pro doesn't allow even though I can manually re-add the chapter marks later. Anyone know of a video converter that will do both of these? Or alternatively, will the new Nano play my standard-sized videos since the unit can be turned on its side for widescreen view? No, I can't see the screen, but at the moment iTunes won't even copy the movies to the iPod. For those interested, they are AAc audio with an AC3 track in the case of surround movies, h.264 video, and the dimensions are usually 640x480, sometimes higher. Wil the new nano be able to simply take these files as is? Because if it can I'll just do that, it'd save me a lot of time in the long run and besides I've been wanting one for a while.

Thanks