[macvoiceover] Re: iPod Nano Charity Auction

  • From: David Poehlman <david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 08:13:36 -0400

yeah, thanks buddy for slamming me.

On Sep 16, 2009, at 7:51 AM, Chris Hofstader wrote:

Thanks Buddy.

I'd also like to apologize to my old friend David and others on this list for getting so cranky that I lost my temper. While not an adequate excuse, my caffeine levels were dangerously low and I turned a discussion where I feel both sides were representing our opinions in a civil manner to "it's my ball and if you don't play the way I want to I'm taking it home."

Civility is important in a small population that hopes to affect change in the broader aspects of society. We blinks shouldn't be, like I was yesterday, shooting each other in bouts of counterproductive sectarianism but, rather, debating issues like grown-ups - a value I forgot yesterday.

I will still send the money to SGD (I haven't received a single bid yet) but people who would have preferred a library for people with disabilities have a valid point which, although I disagree, I do respect.

Happy Giving,
cdh

On Sep 15, 2009, at 11:46 AM, Buddy Brannan wrote:

It's clear to me that Chris has thought out the pros and cons of disposing of his excess iPod and is clear about what he wants to do with it. As he said, if you want to donate your stuff to a particular cause, or sell and donate the proceeds to same, go for it. If you don't like how Chris has decided to dispose of his personal property, it's very simple--don't bid, and leave him to dispose of his property as he sees fit. In short, you don't get a vote, so I, for one, would appreciate it if you could quit trying to vote for alternate disposal options on the list.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY

On Sep 15, 2009, at 10:37 AM, David Poehlman wrote:

it can be done and used effectively.

On Sep 15, 2009, at 10:32 AM, Chris Hofstader wrote:

But a single unit donated to a single library without some sort of redistribution program attached will result in either a single lucky user getting a cool device or a cool device sitting in a drawer with the library pondering what to do with it.

Nonetheless, I chose my guide dog school as the charity to donate whatever pittance I can get for the thing. I'm sure there are other good charities but I picked my own. When you guys sell your crap, you can pick your own charities. Selling my junk goes to SGD.

cdh
On Sep 15, 2009, at 10:17 AM, David Poehlman wrote:

in my experience, if you donat it through friends of the library or another arm like that, it gets used apropriately.

On Sep 15, 2009, at 9:36 AM, Chris Hofstader wrote:

There are an ample number of worthwhile charities both in and out of the disability field that may enjoy an iPod or the dollars generated by the sale of such. My first idea was to look for such a charity doing an iPod recycling program but none are out there and a single Nano would more likely confuse one of the librarians rather than get out to serve a user as a book reader and entertainment device.

I chose SGD because I have benefitted greatly by getting my dog and I want to give back a little whenever I can. They are a small school so really need as many people as we can gather to contribute to keep the operation solvent. If other people have their own favorite charities, they can sell their stuff for contributions to them. Me, I stick with my guide dog school and Bookshare as my favorite charities.

Various organizations have tried mobile phone recycling programs to turn them into emergency signaling devices for elders, care giver communication devices for people who need such and, most recently, Bookshare.org has discussed taking old phones and turning them into dedicated book readers. The BSO project hasn't started but looking at the other recycling programs, it seems unlikely to succeed.

There are many more used phones sitting in people's desk drawers gathering dust than used iPods but getting people to contribute them to a recycling program seems to be really hard.

cdh

On Sep 15, 2009, at 8:56 AM, David Poehlman wrote:

or yu could give it to a library for the disabled.

On Sep 15, 2009, at 8:32 AM, Chris Hofstader wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the cross post but I wanted to get this out to the broadest audience possible.

Sitting on my desk beside me is my one year old iPod Nano. It has 8gb, is silver and, of course, synchronizes with the synthesized voice on Macintosh and, I'll assume, Windows but I haven't tried the latter. It was around $150 new but has been obsoleted by the new units announced last week.

Since switching to iPhone, I have little use for the Nano (although I really like its super sleek form factor). I thought of giving it to a niece or nephew but they all already have iPods or Zunes (my brother works for MS) so they don't have any use for it either.

So, I figured I'd run an auction for the device with the proceeds going to Southeastern Guide Dogs, where my X-Celerator came from. I'll give approximately two weeks (until 9/28) to get the highest bid and will accept a receipt for the donation plus shipping as payment.

I may have lost its earbuds but will make a concerted effort to find them but you may need to furnish your own.

Happy Doggie Day,
cdh