[macvoiceover] iPad ebook formats

  • From: "Russell Solowoniuk" <rsolowoniuk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 14:01:39 -0600

Hi everyone,

I Googled to find out what ebook formats are supported on the iPad and found
the following information:

a.. ePub - this open ebook format is used by many online stores. You can also
convert other formats to ePub and then sync them to the iPad via iTunes.
a.. PDF - PDF is the reigning downloading document format on the website, so
you're likely to find ebooks in this format. The iPad lets you load PDFs onto
your iPad and read them via third-party apps.
a.. iBooks - the books purchased through the iBooks Store are actually in ePub
format, but include DRM to prevent unauthorized sharing or copying.
a.. Kindle - Amazon's Kindle isn't just an ereader that competes with the iPad,
it's also an ebook format. Though you can't read Kindle books through the
iBooks apps, you can read them on the iPad using Amazon's Kindle app.
a.. Barnes & Noble - Just like with Amazon, Barnes & Noble has an app that lets
you buy read books purchased from their online store on the iPad.
I have a couple of questions.  Are the above formats accessible using VO?  Is
it possible to load an MS Word or RTF file on the iPad and read it with VO?

Thanks for any information you can offer.

Russell