[macvoiceover] Re: getting quick time to play .pls files

  • From: Greg Kearney <gkearney@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 06:32:22 -0600

OK here is how to do what he want, which is to tell tehy OS to always open playlists (.pls) files in the quicktime player, or any other compatible program for that matter.

1. navigate to any playlist file.
2. Open the file info window for that file with Command-I
3 Navigate to the "Open With" section of that window. You may need to open the disclosure triangle. 4. from the popup menu select the QuickTIme Player or other program you wish.
5. Click the "Change All" button.

From now on when you open a playlist (.pls) file the QuickTime player will open rather than iTunes. You can always switch this back by repeating the steps above at any time but selecting iTunes.

Greg Kearney
Curtin University Centre for Accessible Technology
www.cucat.org

On Oct 6, 2008, at 6:21 AM, David Poehlman wrote:

quick time won't be any easier to use and creating an ITunes account is a lovely thing to do. You should already have an apple ID because without one, you cannot perform updates and such because it needs your name and password which you will have created when you set up your computer. If you somehow bypassed that step, there is a registration setup file in your home
folder you can launch and complete the process with.

Believe me, Even when ITunes was not accessible, I found that it was easier to just play stuff in it rather than change all the file types. Don't break
what already works.

An example of what to change would be .doc files if you have some
inaccessible wordprocessor on your mac so that they will be read by text
edit and be accessible.