[macvoiceover] Re: embosser drivers

  • From: Travis Siegel <windowbridge@xxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 12:27:42 -0500

Writing drivers isn't difficult (I've done it before myself) the problem is getting the information for talking to the printer. Since every manufacturer has a different way of talking to their particular brand of embosser, the driver would have to take this into account when interfacing with the system, and often times there is little or no documentation on how this process works, so writing drivers is an extremely long and painful process w/o docs on how things work, since you need to bootstrap the entire process. It's definitely possible, and lots of folks have done it, but it's much easier if you can get the company that produced the device to make the driver for you.

At least then, you can be reasonably assured it's correct.