[macvoiceover] Re: editing the name of a signature and deciding which one is the default

  • From: "David Poehlman" <david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 06:47:22 -0500

Wow!

This helps a great deal!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron J." <ganahee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2007 2:47 AM
Subject: [macvoiceover] Re: editing the name of a signature and deciding
which one is the default

Hi John,

I saw both the messages, related to this topic, and thought I'd see
if I could dink around with things a bit, and shed some light on the
subject.

When you're in the Signatures pane of Mail, you need to create
signatures for each specific account you have.  Mail's help says that
you can drag signatures from "All Signatures", into the account you
want them for, but I've tried doing this with VO's keyboard-based drag
and drop functionality, only to end up having to force-quit Mail, as
it becomes unresponsive.

If you examine the Signatures pane, you notice there's a toolbar, a
Signatures List, a Names List, the text of the signature, buttons for
adding & removing signatures, a checkbox for matching message font, a
popup menu for selecting a signature, a checkbox for where to place
the signature, and the Help button.

Editing the name of a signature is simple.  If it exists, simply use
VO to navigate to it, and once on its name, single-click on it, by
using VO-Shift-Spacebar. (Numpad Commander 5).  If no name exists,
simply press the "New Signature" button (VO-Spacebar), and the VO
cursor will automatically be focused on the new name, ready for
typing.  Simply enter the new name, and whatever was there should be
deleted.

As you create new signatures, you'll notice that the popup menu, I
mentioned earlier, becomes populated with the entries in the list -
the first signature you created, being the "Default" one.  If you use
VO-Spacebar to activate this menu, you'll notice that your first
signature is the one selected, but if you use VO-Up/Down arrow keys,
you'll see your choices: None, Each signature (in the order in which
you created them), At Random, and In Sequential Order.  Whichever one
of these you select, becomes the default for any, and all, messages
you send, using a particular account.  You can, of course, change this
at the time you create a new message, but, if you want a default
signature attached to all your messages, this popup, in the signatures
pane, is where to do it.  If you wish to have no default signature,
select "None" from this popup.

Yes, it's a bit different than Tiger's Mail, but it appears to be
self-explanatory, and really not all that hard to do.  Assigning
existing signatures to new accounts seems to be the only real
problem.  If someone figures out how we can do this, though, I'm all
ears!

Hope this explanation made sense?  If you, or anyone else, needs
further clarification, I'll be glad to see what I can do.

Take care!

Ron

On Dec 17, 2007, at 12:25 PM, John Panarese wrote:

> Hi John,
>
>     I have not figured out how to edit a signature name either.  In
> terms of assigning a signature or two to an account, you can't make
> it the default for all accounts.  Also, you have to set both up for
> the specific account and then when you send a message or reply to
> one, there should be a popup menu with either one.  I think the
> first one you create is the default.  However, I am no expert with
> this aspect of mail and am basing this on my experiences with
> signatures.
>

> Take Care
>
> John Panarese
>
> On Dec 17, 2007, at 7:52 AM, John Hess wrote:
>
>> Good morning to all. I have crated two signatures which i would
>> like to use. I can't figure out the following. First, when I name a
>> signature how do I change it's name if I want too.  Next, How in
>> the account preferences do I decide which one is the default?  The
>> button that shows choose signatures is dimmed. I notice that there
>> are two choices in the table. one is all signatures and one is the
>> name of my e-mail account which is GMail.  If I select all
>> signatures I see the two that I created in the signatures table but
>> the popup that says choose signature is dimmed.  If I select the
>> gmail account then nothing shows up under the signatures table.
>> Thanks.
>> Hmmm, should't there be a signature here? Oh wait, there should be
>> but I can't get it to work....

>>> Manage your subscription by using the web interface on the link
>>> below.

>>> with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by logging into the
>>> Webinterface at //www.freelists.org/list/macvoiceover

>> Manage your subscription by using the web interface on the link
>> below.

>> with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by logging into the
>> Webinterface at //www.freelists.org/list/macvoiceover

Ron J. | AKA Ganahee

"For millions of years, mankind lived, just like the animals.  Then
something happened, which unleashed the power of our imagination - we
learned to talk."

 From the MD "The Division Bell", the track "Keep Talking".