[macvoiceover] Re: deleting history in repair permissions

  • From: David Poehlman <david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 07:42:11 -0400

Hi Marti,
It's not necessary to delete the history but it does not hurt. It is always a good idea to run repair permision after an update but I did not have a sluggishness issue on either of my two systems after updating the os or safari.

Here is a caution though. when you run permission repair, if you get a warning about a suid file, it is recommended that you get the combined update from the apple web site and install it to correct this issue. I have not seen a problem related to not doing it but it is difficult to know what might be affected by it so any sluggishness after updating and running permission repair or freezing or stuttering or apps being strange could be related and if you rule that out and the issues still exist or issues crop up if there are none to begin with, it is one less thing to deal with when troubleshooting.

Permission repair should be run a second time and the history should be shorter. I always clear the history out of habit from my windows days when things piled up and I naturally just did away with them if they were unnecessary.

HTH!

On May 13, 2009, at 7:03 AM, Marty Rimpau wrote:

Hi all, just wondering, does repair permissions need the history in
order to do its' repair effectively?  I ask, because, I would always
delete history after repair permissions was complete, on the theory
that all the things it found before, I would have to wade through to
get to the repairing permissions part of the table, which I didn't want
to do, but when voice over was sluggish, when I finished the update
last night, I ran repair permissions, but this time, when the repair
disk disk was no more dimned, I just quit the repair permissions
utility, so just wondering, if it needs the history to be there to know
what to repair, or is the history, just the table of the problems that
were found, practically none of which, I understand, but I did get the
10.7 and the safari 4 public beta yesterday.

Marty