[macvoiceover] braille on the Mac:

  • From: "David Poehlman" <david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 10:37:07 -0400

Hi all,

Braille on the Mac is integrally tied to voiceover.  When you plug a braille
display into a usb port on a mac with leopard running on it, it is active
when voice over is running.  The braille display represents what is in the
voiceover cursor by a line of dots 7 and 8 so for instance if you are
sitting on the desktop and have a bunch of items there, the item(s) in the
voiceover cursor will be represented by dots 7 and 8 and those outside the
voiceover cursor if displayed depending on the size of your braille display
will not show the extra dots.

Braille can be customized to a degree by using the braille options in the
voiceover utility but I won't go into that here.

In a composition area such as an edit field or document etc, the insertion
point is shown as two dots, dot 8 of the left cell and dot 7 of the right
cell so that if you are positioned on a character, it shows the direction of
movement.  If you move right, the left dot shows the character you were on
and the right dot shows where you will go if you continue moving right, in
effect, illustrating that you are between characters.  if you go left, the
right dot shows where you are and the left dot shows where you will go if
you continue moving left.

The routing buttons work much the same.  if you press a routing button
somewhere to the left of your current position, it has the same effect as
moving left above and for right the same as above.  In other words, braille
makes the cursor positioning much clearer.