[macvoiceover] adobe reader

  • From: Jacob Schmude <j.schmude@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 20:43:22 -0500

Hi Everyone
I'm trying to work with Adobe reader and am having limited success. I'm able to get it to read aloud to me no problem, as this seems to be the only way you can actually read a PDF with it. My problem is, it's completely ignoring my settings for speech rate, and speaking at the slowest possible rate. All other settings are obeyed. I've tried both setting it manually in Adob reader's preferences (uncheck use default attributes and set it) and keeping use default attributes checked. There's absolutely no change, and seriously it speaks so slow I cannot listen to it. I don't even know any human that talks as slow as this thing is speaking, let alone a computer. I've verified my settings in system prefs under speech, and they're fine.

Anyone got any ideas what's going on? This is with Adobe Reader 9, I just downloaded it.

The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
        --Douglas Adams