[macvoiceover] Re: X11?

  • From: Travis Siegel <tsiegel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 19:00:55 -0500

The benefit to doing this would be that folks who want to use darwin separate from osx, would be able to do so. I've actually got one machine where osx no longer works (no clue what happened there) but darwin works just fine. I've been wondering how much work it would be to get speech working on this box either via something like yasr or some x11-type application. I don't think that machine will remain in it's current state for long though, so it's likely nothing will come of this, but it is an interesting idea.

On Mar 25, 2009, at 6:41 PM, Travis Siegel wrote:

It's not that bad.
If it would be possible (and I've not looked, so have no clue if it could be done) to port one of the gnome screen readers to the mac, then anyone running gnome with any x11 app would indeed be accessible. Of course, this entire process would be completely independent of voiceover, which could be a good thing, or a bad thing, depending on how you look at it.